Although our name is patriotic, Red, White and Blue originates from three different fire companies that were organized in 1882 to protect the mining district of Breckenridge after three large fires almost destroyed the town. The three companies were the Red: The Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company, White: The Independent Hose Company, and Blue: The Blue River Hose Company. Collectively, they were called the Red, White and Blue Volunteer Fire Department.
In 1947, the fire department changed names to the Breckenridge Volunteer Fire Department until 1976 when a special taxing district was officially formed renaming the department to the Red, White and Blue Fire Protection District as it is called today. We cover approximately 140 square miles of Summit County, Colorado, including the towns of Breckenridge and Blue River, the Breckenridge Ski Resort, and unincorporated sections of Summit County. Our district boundaries are Hoosier Pass to the South, Frisco town limits to the North, the Continental Divide to the East, and the Ten Mile range to the West.
Red, White and Blue is an Internationally Accredited, career department, with approximately 55 paid personnel in 4 divisions: Operations, Administration, Community Risk Management Division, and the Division of Training, Safety, and Health. The department responds to approximately 1,400 calls per year out of three stations. The career firefighters work a 48-96 schedule (two 24-hour shifts, 4-days off) among three shifts.
The District Offices are located in Station 6 at 316 North Main Street in Breckenridge.